Home > Information > National Examination Rules
National Examination Rules
GCE A LEVEL EXAMINATION RULES & INSTRUCTIONS
For national examinations, all students are to comply with the rules and regulations stated in the Instruction booklets on the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate Examination issued by the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board.
Students are to ensure that their calculators are approved for use by the Ministry of Education before the commencement of the examination period. There is NO checking for approval of use of these items on the day of the examination itself.
Students are to arrive in school 30 minutes before the start of the GCE A level Examination and be seated at their assigned desks at least 15 minutes before the start of the paper.
Students must wear the RV uniform in a manner that is prescribed by the school. No modification to the school uniform is allowed. Students with poor grooming or improper attire may not be allowed to sit for the paper.
SCHOOL TEST / COMMON TEST / QUIZ / EXAMINATION RULES & INSTRUCTIONS
Before the start of the test / common test / quiz / internal examination
Students are to ensure that their calculators are approved for use by the school before the commencement of the examination period. There is NO checking for approval of use of these items on the day of the examination itself.
During the test / common test / quiz /internal examination
- The school day starts at 0730 am with the flag raising ceremony at the track. All students must be punctual for the common tests and examination.
- Students must wear the RV uniform in a manner that is prescribed by the school. No modification to the school uniform is allowed. Students with poor grooming or improper attire may not be allowed to sit for the paper
- Candidates are to be seated according to their class register numbers. They must be at their seats 15 minutes before the start of each paper. Their EZ-link cards or NRIC are to be placed at the top right-hand corner of their desks throughout the test / common test / quiz / examination.
- All bags and files are to be placed at the front, back or outside the assessment venue. Nothing should be left under the desks.
- While in the assessment venue, candidates are NOT PERMITTED to have
in their possession
, any unauthorised equipment or materials even if the candidates do not intend to use them. Examples of prohibited items include enclosed instructions, fact sheet, glossary of mathematical terms, conversion table or mathematical formula in the mathematical instrument box, study notes, exam question papers, including those of other subjects. Any unauthorised electronic, communication, entertainment or gaming devices capable of capturing, storing, displaying and/or transmitting visual, audio or verbal information are similarly prohibited. Examples include mobile phones, cameras, tablets, smart wrist watches and glasses, and pens with image capturing capabilities.
- The use of correction fluid and staplers is NOT ALLOWED during the test / common test / quiz / examination.
- Candidates must be equipped with their own stationery, including mathematical sets and calculators. Borrowing from others is NOT ALLOWED during the test / common test / quiz / examination.
Candidates must use black or blue pens with indelible ink that cannot be removed by friction and 2B pencils for shading of Optical Answer Sheets.
- A candidate must inform the invigilator immediately if
- He is given a wrong question paper.
- He has a question paper that does not have the number of questions and/or printed pages specified on the cover page.
- He is not issued with all the materials which are stated on the question papers, such as maps, chemistry data pages and formula booklets.
- He is given a wrong question paper.
- Candidates are NOT ALLOWED to begin writing/reading until they are told to do so. They should stop writing immediately when the invigilator gives the signal at the end of the test / common test / quiz / examination. They are not allowed to leave until all the scripts have been collected.
- Candidates are to use their time wisely. They are expected to stay in the assessment venue for the whole duration of the paper.
- Candidates should arrange their scripts in the right order and tie them together. They must remain seated and silent while the answer scripts are being collected. All answer scripts are to be submitted to the invigilator at the point of collection. NO scripts will be accepted after that. Students are NOT ALLOWED to remove any used or unused exam stationery from the room.
- Calculators may be used in some papers. Only acceptable models of calculators can be brought into the assessment venue. No allowance will be made should a calculator fail to function properly during the test / common test / quiz / examination. All candidates are to reset their graphic calculators for inspection by the invigilators prior to the commencement of the papers.
- Candidates are NOT PERMITTED to consume any form of food in the assessment venue. However, candidates are allowed to drink water in the assessment venue. Candidates are advised to place their water bottles on the floor next to their seats.
- All absentees must produce a valid Medical Certificate to be given to their Form Teacher immediately when they return from their sick leave. Letters from parents are NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- The school takes a serious view of DISHONESTY during tests / common tests / quizzes / examinations. Errant pupils will be barred from the test / common test / quiz / examination and will be deemed to have failed the paper and/or the entire test / common test / quiz / examination.